This fun dish is a healthy twist on two comfort food classics – lasagna and burritos. Thanks to the lean ground turkey, low fat options like and fat-free re-fried black beans, you won’t miss out on any of the flavor. With plenty of room for customizing to your family’s taste and fresh add-ons like crisp green onions and avocado, everyone will be going back for seconds!
I made this as an entry for a food contest a few weeks ago – and while I may not have won that particular award, I have it on good authority that this dish is indeed a serious winner. I had multiple volunteers help me devour this and then have had numerous others already request and make this for themselves at home with great success and accolades.
4 Cheese & Black Bean Mexican Turkey Lasagna
|PREP TIME||30 Min|
|COOK TIME||25 Min|
|READY IN||55 Min|
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (93/7 split if possible)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup organic black olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced organic green chili peppers
- 1/2 (5 ozs) can diced organic tomatoes with green Chilies
- 1/2 (8 ozs) jar organic, low sodium tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free re-fried black beans
- 3 large Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas
- 2 cups Sargento® Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the ground turnkey for 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and spices, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat, if desired.
- Mix in the olives, green chilies, tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce and re-fried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the mixtures simmers, toast the tortillas slightly in a dry pan till slightly brown and set aside. This helps keep the layers firm when cutting.
- Spray a pie plate, 8″ round cake pan, or spring form pan with light cooking spray. Place one tortilla in the bottom for a crust and lightly sprinkle with cheese, all the way to the edge.
- Next, spread a thin layer of the meat mixture, and press down level with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle a light layer of cheese on top. Repeat the tortilla, meat, cheese pattern twice more, for a total of 3 layers.
- Top off with a healthy layer of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, and if desired, broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Top with fat free sour cream and freshly sliced scallions (green onions)
- Make a fresh batch of tangy pico de gallo to serve along side for a kick
- Leave fresh veggies out for everyone to customize with their favorite toppings
TIME SAVING TIP
- Prepare two pans at the same time and freeze one for a make ahead meal